About Eccleshall Parish Council
Eccleshall Parish Council was formed in 1894 and is one of the largest Parishes in Staffordshire with some 20,000 acres and 133 public Rights of Way. There are 15 Councillors representing 4 wards. The Clerk is the only employee and has been in post since May 2017. Eccleshall became one of the first Parish Councils in Staffordshire to achieve Quality Status in November 2004. To obtain Quality Status various tasks have to be fulfilled including publishing a quarterly newsletter and maintaining a web site, the Clerk must hold certificates in Local Council Policy.
The Council has four active Committees – Policy and Resources, Traffic Management, Enhancements and Footpaths. Members are encouraged to sit on at least one committee and to attend training sessions. Individual members undertake responsibility for carrying out risk assessments on Council property and helping to maintain items where possible.
The Parish Council supports the Ecclian Society and finances the watering of the posts and mangers in the summer months and also the purchase of the Christmas Trees. Carols around the Christmas Tree is an annual event organised by the Parish Council, in addition a Civic Service is held each year in the Autumn and the Council is represented at the Remembrance Day Parade.
Eccleshall Community Centre and Allotments are owned by the Parish Council, although both are run by separate Associations. In recent years Eccleshall Parish Council has created a picnic site at Copmere, been instrumental in the refurbishment of the High Street and resurfacing of The Eyeswells Footpath, and erected a Millennium Clock and Village Sign. A grant obtained from the Staffordshire Environmental Fund was used to install a Play Area at Croxton.