Clerks Report – Parish Council Annual Meeting 15th May 2019, Eccleshall Community Centre
Supplementary documents circulated to support the agenda:
• Summary of committees and liaison groups for consideration
• Co-option candidate information if any available
• Confidential document to support item 23
Further Information for Agenda Items:
Items 1 and 3 – Election of Chair and Vice Chair:
• Chair nominations – Cllr. P. Jones
• Vice Chair nominations – Cllr. L. Dale
Item 10: General Power of Competence, summary information:
• The General Power of Competence allows a council to do anything that an individual can do, unless prohibited by the general power or another piece of legislation. This means that any statutory limitations, prohibitions and limitations in place prior to the implementation of the GPC cannot be overridden. It does not have the spending limitations of the s.137 power.
• It is the power of ‘first resort’ and supercedes other powers in place covering a particular course of action.
• To be eligible to use the GPC, the council must have:
o A qualified clerk (e.g. the CiLCA qualification/ Certificate of Higher Education in the relevant subject)
o the number of elected members (not co-opted) equal to or greater than two thirds of the total number of council members
o Furthermore, a council must resolve at a meeting of full council, and re-affirm at the subsequent relevant annual meeting (that takes place in an ordinary election year), that it has met the above conditions.
Borough Councillor Update:- No report to receive
Community Centre – No report has been received.
Offley Hay Village Hall – No report has been received.
Visit Stafford – No report has been received.
• The Village Trust Committee have advised the new gateways are fully assembled and they are waiting for the contractors to come and install, hopefully within the next 2 weeks
• Residents have commented that crossing the road is extremely dangerous as vehicles are still travelling at excessive speeds. The Church has no car park and recently there was a congregation of nearly 40 meaning the parking was on the verge on the opposite side of the road. Certain elderly people had horns blown at them and this now expresses the need for a Church Car Park
• Neil Davenport is looking into the blocked footpath problem at Aspley
Croxton :- No report to receive
Community Transport – No report to receive.
Allotments – No report to receive
• Two new planted troughs by the wall of the Little George car park are looking good.
• A Joint Committee Meeting was held on April 9th and it was agreed that the Ecclian Society would continue to fund the Christmas tree and lights at the crossroads, provided funds remained buoyant.
• The membership of the society is currently 212 households.
• The welcome packs, which are well received, continue to be delivered to residents on the new estates.
• The bench at Elford Heath has been restored and returned to the poolside. Elford Heath is a lovely area and it was pointed out to me that dog fouling is a bit of a problem by a minority of dog walkers. A further dog waste bin sited at the crossroads end would help.
• Plans for Open Gardens, led by Anne and Luke Sergeant, are well advanced. The event will be on the weekend of June 15-16th.
• The mangers and hanging baskets will be put up in the street on Saturday, June 2nd.
Children/Young People: No report to receive.
Correspondence for consideration, additional information:
There is no further information to advise.
Correspondence circulated, to note:
1. Stafford Borough Council Members Digest received and circulated.
2. SPCA Weekly Bulletins – forwarded to all.
3. Visit Stafford Updates
4. Notification of road closure/traffic lights at some point between 6-10 June from Stafford St. to Horsefair in order to install flood monitoring equipment.
General Council Updates:
• Any items for inclusion on a meeting agenda must be received by the Clerk 10 clear days ahead of the meeting date.
SCC- Staffordshire County Council SARH – Stafford and Rural Homes
SBC- Stafford Borough Council SPCA – Staffordshire Parish Councils Assc.
EPC – Eccleshall Parish Council