Clerks Report – Parish Council Meeting 22nd Jan 2020, Eccleshall Community Centre
Supplementary documents circulated to support the agenda:
• Letter and email received from County Cllr. Pert
• Resident letter
• Budget documents
• Committee minutes – Enhancements, Traffic, Policy and Footpaths
Borough Councillor Update:-
No update to report
Community Centre:- No report.
Offley Hay Village Hall – No report
Visit Stafford – No report.
Slindon News:- no report.
Croxton :- No report
Community Transport – No report.
Allotments – No report.
• There was again a good turnout of volunteers to put up the Christmas trees on December 1st. Individual baubles made by the children at Lonsdale School were put up on the tree at the crossroads and with the trees along Stafford, Castle and High Streets. This successful project was organised by Richard Egan with the Lonsdale PTFA.
• The Ecclian Society entered a tree in the Holy Trinity Christmas Tree Festival at the end of November.
• The lights were officially switched on at 5pm following the children meeting Santa in his sleigh at the Lych Gate. Santa and his sleigh were provided courtesy of the Eccleshall Mercia Rotary Club. This event seemed a little less popular this time and probably needs stronger promotion. The carol singing, organised by the Little George, around the tree at the crossroads was well attended but provided an alternative attraction.
• An informal Ecclian Society Christmas committee meeting took place on December 18th at 48, High Street.
• The Parish Council carol singing event on December 23rd, supported by mulled wine from the Ecclian Society in Holy Trinity church was very well attended and was an excellent community event. This was helped by being close to Christmas this year.
• The Christmas trees were taken down on January 5th by another good turnout of volunteers and taken for recycling. The baubles were returned to the school for distribution to the individual pupils. The lights on the large trees were taken down by Andy Scattergood. Our thanks are due to Rob Keyzor for removing and disposing of the large trees themselves.
• The battery powered lights on the small trees were used for the third time this year and are deteriorating as they dim more rapidly. The batteries were changed before Christmas but had dimmed or gone out before January 5th. We will have a project in 2020 to look at alternatives for next Christmas.
• An Ecclian/ Bloom Committee meeting is planned on January 29th
Children/Young People: No report.
First Responders: No report.
Information to support agenda items:
Item 10: email received from SBC regarding process for taking over play area:
Thank you for your letter to the Chief Executive dated 4 December 2019 concerning the management of the play area at Beech Road, Eccleshall. As these kinds of requests are dealt with by the team in Development, Tim asked me to respond to you directly. For your information I have copied this email to both of your local councillors so that they are also informed on the process.
Stafford Borough Council has previously supported Parish Councils who express a wish to take over the ownership and maintenance of play areas and open space. To start the ball rolling the Parish would need to formally notify the Council that they wish to do so and also set out the reasons why. This often relates to the ability to access funding streams that are not open to the Borough Council.
Once the formal notification is received an internal group of officers representing Leisure, Streetscene and Legal Services will review the proposal and make a recommendation as to whether the proposal should be supported. Once all the relevant service areas have considered the request a Cabinet report is then drafted which acts as a consultation paper for both Stafford Borough Councillors and the public.
If the transfer is agreed the Borough Council must then advertise this this in a local newspaper for two consecutive weeks. Please note that the cost of this is usually covered by the Parish Council. If no objections are received the land is then transferred across and all ownership, maintenance and liability will rest with the Parish Council.
I hope that this makes the process clear but if you have any further questions please get back in touch.
Correspondence circulated, to note:
1. Stafford Borough Council Members Digest received and circulated.
2. SPCA Weekly Bulletins – forwarded to all.
3. Visit Stafford Updates
General Council Updates:
• Any items for inclusion on a meeting agenda must be received by the Clerk 10 clear days ahead of the meeting date.
SCC- Staffordshire County Council SARH – Stafford and Rural Homes
SBC- Stafford Borough Council SPCA – Staffordshire Parish Councils Assc.
EPC – Eccleshall Parish Council